To start my Samorlian Inquisiton – Author Interview series, Inquisitor Makhell has ordered the witchunters to drag in Graham Austin-King, author of The Riven Wyrde Saga. Now, this is a simple series of twenty questions per interview, which the inquisitor and I have hurled at dozens of fantasy writers. They all get the same questions, and we get to see the various answers these writers offer up. Let’s just hope the mad bastard, Makhell, leaves their fingers intact. They have to continue to write for our entertainment, after all. Anyhow, enough blathering from me, here’s, well, some more of the same from the man himself: Graham Austin-King.
1. If I gave you an elk, where would you hide it?
“In the wardrobe. If you can fit a lion, a witch, and a whole world in there then I can fit an elk in there.”
2. Why would you be hiding it? Weird.
“To save it from coat rack hunters.”
3. Tell us something about your work in progress?
“Faithless – a dark fantasy about the last temple of the lost god of fire and creation, the Forgefather.”
4. If you were a tree, what tree would you be and why?
“Sycamore because then I’d have helicopter seeds.”
5. Were you an avid reader as a kid?
“Voracious. I read everything from Willard Price to Douglas Adams and covered just about everything in between.”
6. Are you more of a hunter or a gatherer?
“I gather elks and keep them in my wardrobe. (Haven’t we covered this?)”
7. You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What colour would you be and why?
“Why do I have to be a crayon? You can’t shoehorn me into your narrow-minded conception of the world, Ashman. If I want to be a paintbrush I’ll be a bloody paintbrush!”
8. What was the last gift you gave someone?
“I gave you these answers.”
9. What were you like in high school – nerdy, sporty, etc…?
“I was awesome. Very little has changed.”
10. What’s the last thing you watched on TV and why did you choose to watch it?
“Blaze and the Monster Machines. I have kids, I don’t choose to watch much.”
11. What do you want to be when you grow up?
“When I what???”
12. Describe the colour green to somebody who is blind.
“It tastes like the smell of grass.”
13. Who would win a fight between Frodo and Sam?
“Sam easily. Frodo is a bit of a pushover.”
14. A white rabbit hops through the door right now wearing a helmet. What does he say and why is he here?
“Hurry up that whiny bitch Alice is stuck in the rabbit hole again!”
15. What’s your favourite game, be it video, board or tabletop?
“Warrior Knights by Games Workshop. It’s an old boardgame but it’s great fun.”
16. The last book you read was…?
“Red Sister by Mark Lawrence.”
17. Supercar, Superbike or Superboat, and why?
“Superman… doesn’t need fuel.”
18. Where is your preferred writing space?
“A cool office would be nice but it’s usually my kitchen.”
19. When’s your next book out?
20. Do you have a question for JP?
“When is Black Guild out? Stop slacking!”
JP: “When I’m good and bloody ready, Graham, sheesh (late Spring, all being well).”
If you’d like to join the Samorlian Inquisition, you can tell us your thoughts/ask your own questions further down this page in the comments box. If you’re a writer and want the witchunters to come for you, throw me an email at email@example.com. For more Samorlian inquisitors and witchunters, read my novels, starting with: Black Cross!