The Samorlian Inquisition drags in writers at every stage of their fantasy writing career, from traditionally published authors to those penning their first (or third, in this case) draft; Inquisitor Makhell and I believed that is the best way to get a good cross section of the genre we love. So, out Makhell went with his witchunters to drag in ‘games writer’ and ‘producer’ Sadir S Samir:
1. If I gave you an elk, where would you hide it?
“Why would you give me an elk? Are you mad?”
2. Why would you be hiding it? Weird.
“I’M NOT HIDING IT! I DON’T WANT IT!”
3. Tell us something about your work in progress?
“One of my main characters is an alcoholic frogman.”
4. If you were a tree, what tree would you be and why?
“FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper: Sheriff, what kind of fantastic trees have you got growing around here? Big, majestic.
Sheriff Harry S. Truman: Douglas Firs.
FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper: *Marveling* Douglas firs…
That answers the question, right?”
5. Were you an avid reader as a kid?
“Absolutely. From an early age I fell in love with both books and comics. Reading the Hobbit when I was ten years old changed my life.”
6. Are you more of a hunter or a gatherer?
“I was once known as Kraven the Hunter! No, wait, that’s from Spiderman…”
7. You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What colour would you be and why?
“It’s fair to say I have a fetish for the color Purple, so I’d have to go with that.”
8. What was the last gift you gave someone?
“Baby stuff for someone close to me who’s having their first child.”
9. What were you like in high school – nerdy, sporty, etc…?
“Like most people, my years growing up consisted of a lot of different things that has formed me into the person I am today. There were the more geeky hobbies like Dungeons & Dragons, Warhammer, books, comics, video games etc, but I also did quite a bit of sports as well (soccer and boxing mainly). Then we had the street fighting on the side.”
10. What’s the last thing you watched on TV and why did you choose to watch it?
“The new HBO show called Taboo. I love Tom Hardy and the premise seemed really interesting. It’s been excellent thus far and I highly recommend it.”
11. What do you want to be when you grow up?
“A storyteller. It’s the one constant passion that’s always been a big part of my life.”
12. Describe the colour green to somebody who is blind.
“I would let the person in question touch grass, plants and leaves, explaining it’s the color of nature.”
13. Who would win a fight between Frodo and Sam?
“Sam. But he needs to be pushed to his edge and get really, really angry otherwise Frodo wins by breaking him down mentally like a bully.”
14. A white rabbit hops through the door right now wearing a helmet. What does he say and why is he here?
“”Get back to writing!” the Rabbit would yell at me. He already shows up from time to time and orders me around, so I’m kinda used to it be now.”
15. What’s your favourite game, be it video, board or tabletop?
“Dungeons & Dragons with a group of friends I’ve known many years (preferably with me as the Dungeon Master).”
16. The last book you read was…?
“”The Heroes” by Joe Abercrombie.”
17. Supercar, Superbike or Superboat, and why?
“None! I understand their usage but I don’t like vehicles. I could maybe see myself having a moped one day if I live in a smaller town.”
18. Where is your preferred writing space?
“Doesn’t really matter as long as it’s quiet and there aren’t any other people around.
I dream of having a home office one day filled with all my books, comics, toys and movies, where I can look around and be reminded of all the wonderful creative things people have created from their minds.”
19. When’s your next book out?
“The plan is to start querying agents in the coming months for my epic fantasy novel so we’ll just have to wait and see how that goes!”
20. Do you have a question for me?
“”With a flick of my wand I turn you into a flying monkey minion (exactly like those from the Wizard of Oz), but you can’t serve me, so you have to choose someone else to be your Master. Who would that be?””
JP: “Oh wow… not had anything like that before. I’d chose Laura M. Hughes. You know, because she’s a wicked witch and all. Baaahahahaha… Wub you really, Hughes.”
You know, after Inquisitor Makhell was done with Sadir, he said he experienced an overwhelming urge to roll D20’s all day long. Weird. Anyhow, keep your eyes peeled for this future author and, in the meantime, go bother him on Facebook, Twitter, and follow his awesome Blog.